Monday 25 February 2019

Welcome to my adult gap year


PLEDGE


Last New Year's Eve , instead of making a resolution that wouldn't come to fruition my pledge to myself was that 2019 would be the year that my health and well-being would be a priority.

The end of 2018 was a sense of relief. It had been a difficult year with the death of my eldest brother and my mum within a few months of each other. Six months of sciatica followed which floored me mentally and physically leaving little time to grieve. Physical and mental pain melded into one. Concentration on anything apart from the here and now was impossible.

2019 opened with promise and with a blank page. The only template needed was within me and this brought a sense of re invigoration. My sciatica had finally diminished and I felt normal again.

Fast forward four days into the New Year and the Summer flu hit. I wish I could say that I was flat on my back but I wasn't. The cough that accompanied me in that week even kept the dog awake at night. I took myself out to the lounge where I could sleep sitting up and bark away to my hearts content. The pieces that had come together in my life on January 1st fell apart again and my pledge from New Year's Eve was an echo in my head. It was like the universe was testing me and goading me - my body heard the message loud and clear.

So I resigned from my job and finished work two weeks ago. Thanks to a wonderfully supportive husband and daughter my adult gap year has begun.

My new career for the next twelve months will consist of nourishing my soul doing fun things; looking after my health and well being; catching up on reading and completing the first draft of my memoir. My adult gap year has begun!

Thank you for coming along on the adventure - there is no manual to follow apart from living and loving life and relishing each moment of the journey.


Photo by Chad Madden on Unsplash






8 comments:

  1. Teresa, welcome to the world of blogging. I know you can do this and look forward to coffee chats, to see how you are going. Big Hugs, Lilian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honour your courage and self compassion, my friend! Looking forward to watching you flourish and reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is just simply amazing!!! I'm so proud to read this. And in record time too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice start Teresa. Looking forward to your next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done little sis. Will be following you as i know you will do amazing things. Lots of love and support from the Emerald Isle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a pleasure to meet you in Uki and I look forward to reading your story ❤

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to follow your journey! I am truly sorry for the loss of your mum and brother, but thank you for sharing and putting yourself out there. Enjoy your new adventure of self discovery!

    ReplyDelete