Monday 4 March 2019

Coffee and creativity

                                          Photo by Hannah Wei on Unsplash


My daily cappuccino is still important to me. There are days where I like to head off and have a coffee alone. This is my thinking time and it is just as important to me as my reading and writing time.

During my coffee I observe people around me or let my writing ideas compost in my mind. Some days I make notes on my iphone or in a notebook. Some parts of my memoir have been written long hand in a notebook and I have been amazed at the level of detail that poured on to the page.

Two years ago we went on a road trip to South Australia and Victoria. On the way back to Sydney we spent a couple of nights in Beechworth. I fell in love with the place. It was the end of Autumn and the leaves were turning to beautiful colours of russet, yellow and copper. I didn't want to leave this beautiful retreat knowing that it would be mere days before going back to work.

My husband dropped me off in the main street of Beechworth on our last morning and took off to explore the Beechworth Gorge. I hit the nearest coffee shop and just sat drinking in the views and the solitude with my cappuccino. Within minutes a poem started to form in my mind. I hadn't written poetry since I was a teenager so I let the moment flow from my mind to my notebook.

This is the poem that emerged titled "Beechworth"

There is a place locked in my mind
Where joy abounds and fears unwind
With daily worries gnawing at my core
Within this place I retreat to store
Another day, another time, to focus on this place sublime.

A coffee cup may not mean much
But in its warmth I get to touch
The joys that I have stored to reach
On days when my mind loves to preach
Of worries made to test my skills.

I intended to absorb the hills
Of green and gold and russet too
The Winter chill brings hope anew
That one day we will return to live and breathe
The place within my mind will no longer grieve.

Here's to many more cups of coffee and flows of creativity as I revisit my memoir in the coming months.


1 comment: